[Ecls-list] make recheck

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 1 14:05:42 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 9:27 PM, Paul Bowyer <pbowyer at olynet.com> wrote:

> The "make check" operation looked like it completed properly in the
> Konsole window, so just to be certain everything was correct, I issued a
> "make recheck" command from within the Konsole window. That command began
> an infinite loop in the Konsole window that I could not break out of
> because there was so much hard disk activity. It was even beginning to mess
> up the Konqueror window, which was still open. I used the reset button on
> my computer to halt the system and reboot so I could see if there was any
> permanent damage, but my system rebooted without problems.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I have realized what made the Makefiles
fragile against errors. It is a simple bug: using
   cd tests; $(MAKE)
instead of the more appropriate
   cd tests && $(MAKE)
In the first version, when the directory does not exist, the makefile
invokes itself again, leading to infinite recursion.

Before you suggest it, we cannot use $(MAKE) -C tests. The problem is that
BSD make does not support that option