[Ecls-list] Changes with new ASDF version?

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 20:20:17 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Jean-Pierre Flori <jpflori at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2012/12/14 Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com>:
> > ECL now relies on ASDF-bundle, an utility library which is part of ASDF
> and
> > which allows creating executables and big FASL  [...]
> I saw that.

No, you did not read carefully what I said: ECL now relies on
***ASDF-BUNDLE***. ASDF-Bundle is a different library from the one we used
for building executables (ASDF-ECL), and it lives as a separate project,
http://common-lisp.net/gitweb?p=projects/asdf/asdf-bundle.git though it
will probably become part of ASDF soon.

> What I know is that we already used asdf before (the command we use
> leaves no doubt about this fact).

No, you were not using ASDF. You were using ASDF-ECL which was a modified
version of ASDF shipped with ECL.

> What is strange is that I changed nothing but now get maxima-system.fasb
> instead of maxima.fasb.

You did not change anything, but ASDF has changed. The new library follows
a different naming policy and, since I do not develop it, I have little to
say.

> I'm not sure I completely get what you mean, sorry about that.
> The problem here is not the suffix (if we agree that suffix means
> anything after the final dot), but that the "-system" part just before
> the dot.

-system is a suffix that ASDF-Bundle adds to the name of any library or
program (in this case maxima) that was built from whole libraries.

So are you telling me that our command is fine, and that the produced
> file is identical, except for its name because ASDF decided that the
> new name reflects better what is produced as the previous name did?
> I'll be fine very fine with that.

Indeed. The name just reflects the protocol and sets of rules that the new
library uses for building executables and libraries. I believe the suffix
can be eliminated but I do not know how to do it right now.