[Ecls-list] Changes with new ASDF version?

Jean-Pierre Flori jpflori at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 14:12:03 UTC 2012

2012/12/14 Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Jean-Pierre Flori <jpflori at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Could you please explain to me what changed because I'm really lost in
>> all of this?
>

> ECL now relies on ASDF-bundle, an utility library which is part of ASDF and
> which allows creating executables and big FASL files for a wide variety of
> implementations. This does more or less what we used to do, but it is more
> portable
I saw that.
The problem is not switching to ASDF here.
What I know is that we already used asdf before (the command we use
leaves no doubt about this fact).
What is strange is that I changed nothing but now get
maxima-system.fasb instead of maxima.fasb.
(Just trying to be clearer.)

> It has been decided by the maintainers of this library that the appropriate
> suffix of an executable depends on the method to generate it. You can either
> rename the output by hand or provide a different suffix. Perhaps Faré can
> comment on how to do it from the lisp side.
I'm not sure I completely get what you mean, sorry about that.
The problem here is not the suffix (if we agree that suffix means
anything after the final dot), but that the "-system" part just before
the dot.

As there are two files named maxima.asd and maxima-system.lisp in the
directory where we issue the asdf::make-build command, I feared that
now the same command as before (so already using asdf) may pick up and
produce something different, potentially because we are not using the
right command.

So are you telling me that our command is fine, and that the produced
file is identical, except for its name because ASDF decided that the
new name reflects better what is produced as the previous name did?
I'll be fine very fine with that.

Thanks for your help!

--
Jean-Pierre Flori