[Ecls-list] Default values for c::*ecl-library-directory* etc.

Nils Bruin nbruin at cecm.sfu.ca
Fri May 20 22:49:30 UTC 2011

The following problem arises with ECL as packaged within Sage. Sage comes
with essentially its own $SAGE_ROOT/usr/local/ tree and tries to ensure
that the whole install directory of sage can be moved and that sage still
runs OK in the new location.

This works for most of ECL, but not for its compiler. The reason is that
the variables cc:*ecl-library-directory* and cc:*ecl-include-directory*
get assigned default values at ECL build time. They normally point to
usr/local/lib and usr/local/include, which one would normally expect to
remain in the same place. However, in sage they might not do that. My
questions:

  1. Is there already an option to set something in the run-time
environment so that "vanilla" ecl picks up updated values for these paths?
The standard build script for maxima runs "ecl -norc" so ~/.eclrc is not
an option. Wrapping the ecl executable with a script that prepends some
"-eval" lines does work, but perhaps there are better options.

  2. The variables cc::*cc-flags* and cc::*ld-flags* seem to be picking up
an "-I..." and an "-L..." themselves in Sage's configuration. Is that
normal (i.e., does that always happen)? Is it intentional?

  3. What would be the right spot to patch ECL so that the default values
for these paths are constructed at runtime? The kind of value I am looking
for is:

(setf c::*ecl-include-directory* (concatenate 'string (SI:GETENV "SAGE_ROOT") "/local/include/"))

Given the value given by

(namestring (translate-logical-pathname "SYS:"))

it actually looks like ECL would be able to get close to the right path by
itself.

For reference, the sage trac for this issue is