[Ecls-list] file-stream-fd, ext and si packages

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sun May 22 16:24:40 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Didier Verna <didier at lrde.epita.fr> wrote:

> after upgrading ECL today, I found out that the function FILE-STREAM-FD
> is not accessible from the EXT package anymore. I now need to grab it
> from the SI package.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I already announced this in the maling list
several months ago: the EXT package is the right path to access all
functions which are sanctioned and exported by the core and which are not
part of the standard, nor MOP nor any other recognized extension set
(SB-POSIX, ASDF, etc).

I just fixed ECL to export that function.

> But this makes me wonder: the EXT package (that I used to use for
> getting this function and other things like QUIT) is not even
> documented. Should we avoid it and use SI instead ?

The SI is also not documented :-) and it will remain so. Use of SI has
always been discouraged and EXT has *always* existed in ECL since the 0.8
releases or so. It is just that it was never actively enforced and this was
always a can of worms waiting to be opened.