[Ecls-list] Important changes in the tests

Matthew Mondor mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net
Fri Dec 9 23:07:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 14:34:02 +0100
Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:

> No, you have to build ECL in order to use the tests. This is so because the
> tests are not part of "make check" and have to be installed in a clean
> directory (the ANSI test suite cannot be run in a read-only directory and
> leaves a lot of temporary files behind). So the steps would be
>
> mkdir build-directory
> cd build-directory
> /path/to/ecl/src/configure ...
> make
> make install
> make check

I have built it, but unfortunately there is no "check" target in the
top-level Makefile, and I could only find an unprocessed Makefile.in in
src/tests/ (no Makefile).

What I did follows:

cd ~/work/ecl-git/ecl/
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/ecl --enable-unicode --enable-threads --with-__thread=no --enable-rpath --with-clx --enable-boehm=system --with-system-gmp --with-gmp-prefix=/usr/pkg
make
(I then su and make install)

make check
make: don't know how to make check. Stop

So my build directory is also the git source checkout directory.
Is there anything else than ecl/ necessary for the top level?
Or is it possible that a recent Makefile change wasn't commited?

I can see in the src/tests directory:
behemoth$ ls ./src/tests/
Makefile.in   bugs          config.lsp.in

And no test/check related parts in my install target tree
(/usr/local/etc/).

Although I'd fail to see why, it's possible that when I git pull it
doesn't pull the latest changes; I could try a fresh checkout but I'd
then have to migrate some local changes to my new repository.  It's not
impossible that I have made some mistake, ECL is the first project with
which I tried Git, so my experience is limited compared to with CVS.

Thanks for your patience,
--
Matt