[Ecls-list] ECL's license and commercial IPhone apps

Matt Lamari matt.lamari at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 05:21:31 UTC 2011

I realize I'm dredging up an old thread here - I'd just like
clarification on the subject. . . .

Assumptions:
1.  iPhone apps must statically link libraries, can't use dynamic linking
2.  An ECL-using iPhone App will need to link in ECL runtime elements.
3.  Apple would pass the app and let it onto the App store.

In order to be in compliance with the ECL's licensing:

With these assumptions, say an app, FoobarBlasters, was made with ECL
and put on the app store. . . .

Is compliance with ECL licensing possible at this stage - if so, what
would that take?  Published source code for all of FoobarBlasters?
Published FoobarBlasters binary that can be dynamically linked with a
dynamic ECL (not possible if assumption correct).

Can ECL be used for a closed-source (at least for the non-ECL
components) commercial App Store app?