[Ecls-list] ECL's license and commercial IPhone apps

R. Mattes rm at mh-freiburg.de
Fri Aug 12 07:17:51 UTC 2011

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 00:21:31 -0500, Matt Lamari wrote
> I realize I'm dredging up an old thread here - I'd just like
> clarification on the subject. . . .

IANAL, so take the following with a grain of salt ....

> Assumptions:
>
> 1.  iPhone apps must statically link libraries, can't use dynamic linking
>
> 2.  An ECL-using iPhone App will need to link in ECL runtime elements.
> 3.  Apple would pass the app and let it onto the App store.
>
> In order to be in compliance with the ECL's licensing:
>
> With these assumptions, say an app, FoobarBlasters, was made with ECL
> and put on the app store. . . .
>
> Is compliance with ECL licensing possible at this stage - if so, what
> would that take?  Published source code for all of FoobarBlasters?

That, and at least a link to where the sources of ECL can be found.

> Published FoobarBlasters binary that can be dynamically linked with a
> dynamic ECL (not possible if assumption correct).

No, you deliver a statically linked application, hence create a derived
work.

> Can ECL be used for a closed-source (at least for the non-ECL
> components) commercial App Store app?

No, since Apple requires static linking (one might question their
reason for this)

Cheers, Ralf Mattes

--
R. Mattes -