[Ecls-list] fatal: relocation errors on Solaris x86 and OpenSolaris 64-bit.

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 5 23:16:24 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 1:48 AM, Dr. David Kirkby
<david.kirkby at onetel.net>wrote:

> Several months ago I discovered that Maxima would not build in Sage on
> 64-bit
> OpenSolaris. ECL built, but Maxima would not. [...]
> At the time, I did not have a clue whether this was a Maxima, ECL or Sage
> issue,
> but now I believe it is an ECL issue, as the link-editor thinks the shared
> object contains text relocations.[...]

Seems that the problem was caused by ECL's threaded interpreter
optimization, which uses a computed goto. This computed goto is just working
fine in all other versions of GCC in all other platforms. The obvious
solution was to deactivate that optimization (a pity, because it is a
powerful one) for Sun's platform. I have just finished a 64-bit build of ECL
on Solaris using GCC without problems. Sorry for the delay.