[Ecls-list] fatal: relocation errors on Solaris x86 and OpenSolaris 64-bit.

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Fri Nov 5 23:23:59 UTC 2010

On 11/ 5/10 11:16 PM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 1:48 AM, Dr. David Kirkby
> <david.kirkby at onetel.net>wrote:
>
>> Several months ago I discovered that Maxima would not build in Sage on
>> 64-bit
>> OpenSolaris. ECL built, but Maxima would not. [...]
>> At the time, I did not have a clue whether this was a Maxima, ECL or Sage
>> issue,
>> but now I believe it is an ECL issue, as the link-editor thinks the shared
>> object contains text relocations.[...]
>

> Seems that the problem was caused by ECL's threaded interpreter
> optimization, which uses a computed goto. This computed goto is just working
> fine in all other versions of GCC in all other platforms. The obvious
> solution was to deactivate that optimization (a pity, because it is a
> powerful one) for Sun's platform. I have just finished a 64-bit build of ECL
> on Solaris using GCC without problems. Sorry for the delay.
>
> Juanjo

Thank you Juanjo.

How did you track the problem down? I've tried, but found it very hard to debug
the issue. In theory one should be able to tie it down to a function I believe,
but I was unable to.

Is it possible you could show me the code changes that were made. If possible,
it would be nice to produce a small test case which exhibits this problem, then
submit that as a gcc bug.

Dave