[Ecls-list] Recursive mutex and condition variable

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 28 22:01:03 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Matthew Mondor
<mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net> wrote:

> There doesn't seem to be an option to use a recursive condition
> variable internal lock, but this API sits on top of the pthread one and
> generally a mutex/lock is used in combination with them, which could be
> recursive.  It seems that condition variables are not currently
> available on Windows.

Two unrelated statements:

First, condition variables are not recursive objects. Neither per ECL
nor per POSIX. What may be recursive is the lock that is used together
with it, but this lock has to be passed to the condition variable
functions as argument, it is not created by those functions. If you
create a recursive lock then the function will use it as such.

Second, condition variables are only available, in a limited form, in
Windows Vista and later versions of the operating system. Since right
now I do not want to tie ECL to that particular operating system
version I have not bothered implementing them. However, I will accept
patches for adding this feature if somebody finds it useful.