[Ecls-list] Question #1

Daniel Herring dherring at tentpost.com
Wed Feb 17 02:56:28 UTC 2010

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010, Samium Gromoff wrote:

> From: dherring at tentpost.com
>>> It has been suggested to me that I should use a version number with a finer
>>> granularity than the current release code, ideally increasing with _every_
>>> commit.
>>
>> IMO, that's a bad idea.  Version numbers are for releases; people tracking
>> a version-control system are responsible for doing just that.
>
> Do you think that it doesn't work for SBCL?

I think its extra busiwork, but it is helpful when going between CVS and
git.

> Consider this in a wider context: boinkmarks, irc -- you have nice identifiers
> to which you can mentally attach results, authors and changes..

One does not require the other.  SVN revision 1243 or git hash abc123 are
not much different than sbcl 1.0.35.42; the latter is a little more human
readable, while the former are more useful for machine interaction.

SVN IDs work just fine for automated build testing.
http://www.boost.org/development/tests/trunk/developer/summary.html

- Daniel