[Ecls-list] Once again: boehmgc vs. ECL on MinGW

Samium Gromoff _deepfire at feelingofgreen.ru
Tue Apr 6 11:28:44 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 20:26:00 +0200, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Samium Gromoff
> <_deepfire at feelingofgreen.ru>wrote:

> > I have eventually figured out that one way to make ECL's
> > configure to pick up system's boehmgc is to install the latter
> > into /usr.
> >

> Is it really so obscure? I mean, this is the natural convention for
> searching paths in autoconf'ed software.
>
> More precisely, if your software depends on a library, say gmp or gc or foo,
> this library has to be installed somewhere to be found by the software.
>
> The search path of the compiler and linker and indicated by the environment
> variables CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS, so for instance in NetBSD, where the
> Boehm-Weiser garbage collector is installed using /usr/pkg as a prefix, then
> one has to configure using

This is all good and well, but this has an unfortunate consequence that
the default prefix -- that is, when you configure boehmgc with just

  ./configure

doesn't work, as it's /usr/local, not /usr

I don't complain too much, just, well yeah, I guess I do, but just a little :-)

--
regards,
  Samium Gromoff