[Ecls-list] Once again: boehmgc vs. ECL on MinGW

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 2 18:26:00 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Samium Gromoff
<_deepfire at feelingofgreen.ru>wrote:

> I have eventually figured out that one way to make ECL's
> configure to pick up system's boehmgc is to install the latter
> into /usr.

Is it really so obscure? I mean, this is the natural convention for
searching paths in autoconf'ed software.

More precisely, if your software depends on a library, say gmp or gc or foo,
this library has to be installed somewhere to be found by the software.

The search path of the compiler and linker and indicated by the environment
variables CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS, so for instance in NetBSD, where the
Boehm-Weiser garbage collector is installed using /usr/pkg as a prefix, then
one has to configure using

./configure {whatever-flags-you-wish} CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/pkg/include
LDFLAGS=-L/usr/pkg/lib

This is like that for all software that relies on autoconf.

> I looked at configure's --help output, and it has a section about
> --x-libraries and --x-includes.  This didn't work for X being 'boehm'.
> Neither was there a dedicated --with-boehm-prefix, like there
> was for gmp.

The fact that there is one option for gmp is merely accidental. The
recommended way of looking for libraries is the previous one.

In the end, I think this deserves to be mentioned in a somewhat
> more obvious place.
> Or maybe I missed something?

It is so standard for this kind of software that I thought it was obvious. I
will add a line in the "Autoconf based configuration"

And sorry for the inconvenience but indeed it is more than one year and the
developers of the garbage collector did not bother producing a "release".

http://tream.dreamhosters.com