[Ecls-list] ECL shootout

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 30 14:33:47 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Marko Kocić<marko.kocic at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder if maybe we can help Juan by providing some patches if we can make
> some perf improvenments by changing / adding functionality to some isolated
> parts of code that don't require intimate knowledge of the full compliler system,
> if it is possible.

That would be most welcome. There are improvements to be done on _all_
fields. For instance, the sequence functions are obsolete and slow,
since they are not specific to the different sequence types. One could
work on them one by one, trying to make them more efficient, or
provide efficient compiler macros that optimize the usual cases (MAP,
MAPC, etc) -- I bet this option is way better.

Regarding function calls, I am not sure what GCL is doing and can not
compare -- no GCL builds for OS X (fink or raw sources) --, but in the
past it used to be pretty careless about safety. I dare to say that
the current system is almost optimal for the current calling
convention, without dropping safety tests.

There are probably other places for optimization and not all of them
have to be worked out at the C level.