[Ecls-list] About regression tests and libraries

Elliott Slaughter elliottslaughter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 17:01:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <
juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Elliott
> Slaughter<elliottslaughter at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm not sure that being
> > able to run these libraries on one platform implies that they can be run
> on
> > all platforms.
>
> You also have to understand that it is not _my_ task or _my_ goal to
> verify that libraries work on all platforms with ECL. This is actually
> an effort that should be made by library developers, though
> unfortunately it is not done.
>
> The library testing setup is done more to verify that changes in ECL
> do not break significantly a large amount of software, as a kind of
> regression test for _myself_ and for other developers.

Right.

Mainly I am interested in verifying that libraries like CFFI work, as a
large number of other libraries depend on them. (If those other libraries
have bugs which cause them to not run on ECL, I can look into those cases
separately, but if CFFI doesn't build, then I can't even get that far.)

And as I reported to the list earlier, I've been having difficulty running
Alexandria (and thus CFFI) on Windows, which is why I was wondering if
anyone else had observed the same results.

Thanks. (Whatever level of testing you decide to do would be appreciated.)

--
Elliott Slaughter

"Don't worry about what anybody else is going to do. The best way to predict
the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay