[Ecls-list] Debugging lisp errors while building ECL

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 2 08:44:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 1:31 AM, Red Daly <reddaly at gmail.com> wrote:
> NIL is not of type VECTOR is a very general error and does not help me pin
> down where the problem is in the code.  How are you supposed to debug these
> types of errors while building ECL?  It would be nice to get at least a
> backtrace so I can see where it crashed.

It depends very much where the error happened. Compiled functions can
only be backtraced if they were not called directly, and even then,
the backtrace is only produce up to the outermost toplevel, hiding
system functions. Since building ECL happens _without_ a toplevel
running, then you will typically find problems debugging errors.

However, the issue about faking a compiler is now resolved with the
new bytecmp module. Please read my previous email.