[Ecls-list] cross compile ecl for mingw32 on ubuntu

Teunis Peters teunis at wintersgift.com
Thu Sep 11 12:35:12 UTC 2008

I've discovered a few things from playing with this:
(sorry I don't entirely know -what- should be diff'ed to show this.
I'm still getting my feet wet and still exploring).
note: windows exes are set to run "as native" (through wine) on my
shell.  It's very handy for development.

Two possible fixes and then a crash.  Not sure where to go further so I
send this out.   It could be anything but nothing catches my attention
from the build...
.. note that this IS a fresh tree - of the current 'git pull'.

1. build/Makefile:   ecl_min requires ecl_min$(EXE) around:
bin/ecl$(EXE): ecl_min$(EXE) compile.lsp sysfun.lsp ecl/external.h
BUILD-STAMP
        if [ -f CROSS-COMPILER ]; then \
                ./CROSS-COMPILER compile; \
        else \
 >>           ./ecl_min$(EXE) compile; \
        fi

2. build/c/Makefile:  ar NEEDS to be the platform specific one.
../libeclmin.a: $(OBJS) all_symbols.o all_symbols2.o
        $(RM) $@
 >>   i586-mingw32msvc-ar cr $@ $(OBJS)
        $(RANLIB) $@

should be obvious enough why ;)

ecl_min.exe crashes like so:

if [ -f CROSS-COMPILER ]; then \
        ./CROSS-COMPILER compile; \
    else \
        ./ecl_min.exe compile; \
    fi
;*** Lisp core booted ****
ECL (Embeddable Common Lisp)  65536 pages

Internal or unrecoverable error in:

Lisp initialization error.