[Ecls-list] ECL on iPhone

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 9 20:11:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Red Daly <reddaly at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, the hard part is getting ECL to cross-compile correctly for an ARM
> processor.  I have run into bugs with fenv.h [..]
> When I run configure, it accurately predicts trouble with fenv.h:
> configure: WARNING: fenv.h: present but cannot be compiled
> configure: WARNING: fenv.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
> configure: WARNING: fenv.h: see the Autoconf documentation
> configure: WARNING: fenv.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
> configure: WARNING: fenv.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
> configure: WARNING: fenv.h: in the future, the compiler will take
> precedence

Well, I do not have an iPhone (my iMortgage has something to do :-)) but I
will try to help as much as I can. Past experience has shown that the ARM
architecture can have problems with programs that rely on floating point
exceptions. This probably has to do with the absence of coprocessors and use
of software emulation on some configurations.

To avoid further problems I have added a new flag to the CVS verison,
--with-fpe, which in your case you should use as --without-fpe, to activate
(deactivate) the use of Floating Point Exceptions in ECL. This is not a
major loss, depending on what you want to do.

As for GMP, you might try using a more recent version and see whether it
builds -- it probably should --. Then you can use it with ECL with
appropriate configuration flags.

Instituto de Física Fundamental
CSIC, Serrano, 113, Madrid 28040 (Spain)