[Ecls-list] cl-launch and ecl, again

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 21:06:15 UTC 2008

2008/10/30 Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com>:
>> COMPILE-FILE-PATHNAME is not compliant, because it accepts a set of
>> parameters different from COMPILE-FILE, whereas the standard mandates
>> that any extension supported by COMPILE-FILE must be supported by
>> COMPILE-FILE-PATHNAME. I have to call the former with :type :object
>> and the latter with :system-p t.
>
> Not really. You are probably using a too old version.
> COMPILE-FILE-PATHNAME works fine with the _same_ set of options as
> COMPILE-FILE
>
> ECL is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> under certain conditions; see file 'Copyright' for details.
> Type :h for Help.  Top level.
>> (compile-file-pathname "foo")
> #P"foo.fas"
>> (compile-file-pathname "foo" :system-p t)
> #P"foo.o"

Oh, OK. I was confused. COMPILE-FILE-PATHNAME indeed implements a
superset of what COMPILE-FILE supports. Discrepancies this way seem to
be permitted.

> Thanks for the other files and the detailed description of the
> problem. I will download them and investigate it during the following
> days -- cannot promise full commitment, though, as I will be
> travelling.

Take your time. I believe that this is a bug in ECL and that when this
bug is fixed, cl-launch will work fine with ECL. Actually, I believe
that anyone trying to use make-build with ASDF systems may be
experiencing the same problem and expecting the same solution, not
just the few users of cl-launch.

Thanks a lot for your support!

A real person has two reasons for doing anything ... a good reason and
the real reason.