[Ecls-list] error building ecl from latest cvs

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 5 18:27:11 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 6:45 PM, Robert Dodier <robert.dodier at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyway it builds successfully from current cvs on a CentOS 4 system
> w/ gcc 3.4.6. However, it doesn't seem to catch a stack overflow nicely.
> (defun f () (f)) (f) => segfault.

Currently there are two issues:

- The C stack limit which exists by default might be too large. This
limit is imposed when the operating system limit is RLIM_INFINITY.

- The Boehm-Weiser garbage collector does not always cooperate with
ECL. I have skimmed the code and, at least in theory, it seems that
ECL's signal handler for SIGSEGV is saved by the garbage collector and
called when it finds a SIGSEGV which is not related to the memory
handled by the garbage collector.

The combination of both problems might be what you experience. In
particular, regarding the second problem, I have only seen it when ECL
is built against precompiled versions of the library on Linux and
using the generational garbage collector.