[Ecls-list] ECL on mobile devices

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Feb 22 15:46:27 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Alfredo Cádiz
<alfredo.cadiz at uclouvain.be> wrote:
>  Is it possible compile and run lisp programs using ECL targeted to
>  handheld devices like Palms or PocketPCs?

Those are not supported platforms in the sense that I have no one and
have never compiled ECL for them, but other people reportedly have.
Basically there are these porting issues:

0) In most cases you will have to cross-compile ECL, as building it on
the palm itself will be slow. This is not difficult and it is based on
filling up a configuration file that ECL generates.

1) The bignum library. If there is no specialized code for your
microchip it still can be forced to be compiled with C.

2) The garbage collector. I am unsure about whether Boehm-Weiser GC
supports these platforms. It probably does, but in worst case one can
reactivate the old garbage collector, polish it (it does not build
right now) and get it working.

Point 2) is the trickiest one. The rest should be easy,