[Ecls-list] Does serve-event build on windows

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 20:18:14 UTC 2007

On 10/14/07, Steve Smith <tarka at internode.on.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 10:10:39AM +0200, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > can anybody verify whether the serve-event contributed package builds
> > on windows+cygwin/mingw? Should it be deactivated from the
> > configuration file by default?
>
> Technically it should, as Windows is supposedly posix-compliant,
> although there may be some behavioural differences that need to be
> accounted for.

Well, Windows is only minimally Posix compliant. The current
serve-event implementation doesn't really work, as there's no
sys/select.h file on Windows. But the problems are somewhat bigger:
select() can't be called on filehandles (on Windows); the function is
implemented for sockethandles only.

> Certainly SBCL seems to support it on W32 with only a
> couple of conditional declarations.

I think you got fooled here: while it looks like it, other parts of
SBCL hide other differences between posix and Windows allowing the
sockets part to be different but not extremely different.

>  However I wouldn't even know how
> to build ECL on Windows some it would be useful if someone else could
> test this and let me know the results.

It took me some time to get round to it, but I seem to be able to
build ecl on Windows with the free VC2005Express edition.

bye,

Erik.