[Ecls-list] Rewriting autoconf -> autoconf/automake

Michael Abshoff Michael.Abshoff at fsmath.mathematik.uni-dortmund.de
Thu Nov 15 13:23:35 UTC 2007

John Wiegley wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2007, at 3:58 AM, Goffioul Michael wrote:

Hello list,

>> Would an autoconf/automake/libtool system support MSVC compiler?
>
> That's a good question.  All of my Windows users use cygwin to build
> from
> what I know.

MSVC by itself does not, but you can use MinGW+MSys for
autoconf/automake/libtool and call cl.exe from that environment. That way
it used to be done for ATLAS and I think I remember that at least in the
early days of the Windows port of LyX the devels used to do that. There
are other projects out there that build that way, but I cannot remember
any other projects with instant "name recognition" :)

I could throw two more cross platform build systems in the ring: SCons and
cmake, but since they are different than autotools it might get a little
time to get used to.

> John

Cheers,

Michael