[Ecls-list] Rewriting autoconf -> autoconf/automake

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 10:52:42 UTC 2007

On 11/14/07, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2007 11:13 AM, Erik Huelsmann <ehuels at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Maybe that's an interesting option if you want to reduce Makefile maintenance?
>
> As far as a I can tell, and Michael should correct me, the biggest
> problems arise not just because of Makefiles, but because of other
> issues:
>
> * Changes in the GMP library
> * Changes also in how the Boehm-Weiser library builds
> * Changes in the parameters that Microsoft's tools require
> * Symbols which are added or removed from ECL and which have to be
> added to the *.def files
>
> These are things which cannot be solved by just having a custom
> script, because it contains things which are either out of our control
> (other libraries) or things which normally do not form part of the
> build process (symbol names).

For the first three I agree, but the last one is more a matter of
scope of the build process. I agree that during most builds the list
of exported symbols will be the same. The list of exported symbols is
however in our build system derived from the source files, just as the
.o files. We use a python script to extract the symbols and write the
.def file on Windows.

Just fyi, not implying it should work the same way in ECL.

bye,

Erik.