[Ecls-list] gc build options

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Sun May 6 20:36:13 UTC 2007

2007/4/25, todd ingalls <testcase at asu.edu>:
> Hi - I am trying to build ecl without the Boehm-Weiser garbage
> collector on darwin-ppc. with
>
> ./configure --enable-threads=yes --enable-boehm=no
>
> when i try to build a get some errors compiling alloc.d . i am
> looking at fixing these errors, but first wanted to ask if building
> without bw-gc is really supported or is it inadvisable.

ECL's own garbage collector has several problems. The first one is
that it is slow, the second one is that it does not support
multithreading and the last one is that has fallen a little bit apart
and might need some fixing.

Incremental GC on the Boehm-Weiser library does not work well even on
the platforms which support it. I really don't know why, but whenever
I activated it on my linux boxes it crashed. If you really need fine
grained control over GC I advise you to write to the GC mailing list.
They are very helpful and respond relatively fast. Otherwise you could
have a look at other conservative garbage collectors. Porting ECL to
them should be really straightforward.

Regards,