[Ecls-list] Does ECL build on AIX?

Mark Hoemmen mark.hoemmen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 21:15:30 UTC 2007

Greetings!

I'm trying to build ECL 0.9i on AIX 5.3 (POWER5), but the "configure"
process fails.  Here is the command I ran:

-bash-3.00$ CC=xlc ./configure --prefix=$HOME/pkg/ecl-0.9i

(I'm asking ECL to use IBM's native xlc compiler rather than gcc, and
I want it to install into my home directory because I don't have root
on this machine).  The output I got is at the bottom of the e-mail,
but here is the error message:

checking character sequence for end of line... configure: error:
Unable to determine linefeed mode

I checked src/configure and noted the test for ECL_NEWLINE.  I'm
almost certain that AIX uses "\n" for the newline character; there's
no need for a test.  So I'm wondering if this error can be
hack-patched over, just so that I can get ecl up and running on my
system.  I would also be glad to help port ECL to AIX in a cleaner
way, as long as I don't have to write any assembly code for the bignum
loops ;P

mfh

Here is the output of the ./configure script:

Switching to directory `build' to continue configuration.
checking build system type... powerpc64-ibm-aix5.3.0.0
checking host system type... powerpc64-ibm-aix5.3.0.0
checking for gcc... xlc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... no
checking whether xlc accepts -g... yes
checking for xlc option to accept ANSI C... none needed
checking for g++... g++
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... no
checking whether g++ accepts -g... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... xlc -E
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/common/homes/m/mhoemmen/src/ecl-0.
9i/src/gmp/install-sh -c
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for ld flags when building shared libraries...
checking for required libraries...
checking for architecture... POWERPC64
checking for software type... aix5.3.0.0
checking for __thread local data... no
checking for install-info... /sbin/install-info
checking for getpwnam in -lsun... no
checking for library containing strerror... no
checking for __gmpz_init in -lgmp... no
checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers in standard search path
checking for dirent.h that defines DIR... yes
checking for library containing opendir... no
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... no
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for stdbool.h that conforms to C99... yes
checking for _Bool... yes
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) no
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking fcntl.h usability... yes
checking fcntl.h presence... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... (cached) yes
checking limits.h usability... yes
checking limits.h presence... yes
checking for limits.h... yes
checking netdb.h usability... yes
checking netdb.h presence... yes
checking for netdb.h... yes
checking netinet/in.h usability... yes
checking netinet/in.h presence... yes
checking for netinet/in.h... yes
checking stddef.h usability... yes
checking stddef.h presence... yes
checking for stddef.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking sys/param.h usability... yes
checking sys/param.h presence... yes
checking for sys/param.h... yes
checking sys/socket.h usability... yes
checking sys/socket.h presence... yes
checking for sys/socket.h... yes
checking sys/time.h usability... yes
checking sys/time.h presence... yes
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking fenv.h usability... yes
checking fenv.h presence... yes
checking for fenv.h... yes
checking sys/resource.h usability... yes
checking sys/resource.h presence... yes
checking for sys/resource.h... yes
checking sys/utsname.h usability... yes
checking sys/utsname.h presence... yes
checking for sys/utsname.h... yes
checking float.h usability... yes
checking float.h presence... yes
checking for float.h... yes
checking pwd.h usability... yes
checking pwd.h presence... yes
checking for pwd.h... yes
checking dlfcn.h usability... yes
checking dlfcn.h presence... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking link.h usability... no
checking link.h presence... no
checking for link.h... no
checking mach-o/dyld.h usability... no
checking mach-o/dyld.h presence... no
checking for mach-o/dyld.h... no
checking ulimit.h usability... yes
checking ulimit.h presence... yes
checking for ulimit.h... yes
checking dirent.h usability... yes
checking dirent.h presence... yes
checking for dirent.h... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h usability... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h presence... yes
checking for sys/ioctl.h... yes
checking for inline... inline
checking for size_t... yes
checking whether struct tm is in sys/time.h or time.h... time.h
checking for working volatile... yes
checking for ptrdiff_t... yes
checking for long long int... yes
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... yes