[Ecls-list] ECL memory usage

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 4 16:27:55 UTC 2006

2006/7/4, Dave Roberts <dave at vyatta.com>:
> ECL is only bytecode or object file, right?

Well, also source code. But what other possibilities are there? :-/

> It wasn't clear from the sentence what "both" meant. I think I remember reading in the ECL docs that it compiles to byte code everything that is loaded that isn't a FASL (object code). Is that right? In ECL, there are no lists, even for source-loading, just bytecode.

Optionally, the source of functions is also stored in memory using lists.

> BTW, this brings up another question: Is it possible to have the compiler generate byte-code files that can then be fast-loaded, as opposed to either loading source code or FASLs?

Bytecodes used to have a printed representation. I do not remember how
it is done, though, but this was a feature introduced by M.
Pasternacki long time ago. Based on similar considerations as you, I
suppose.

Regards,

Max-Planck-Institut für Quantenoptik
Hans-Kopfermann-Str. 1, Garching, D-85748, Germany
Phone: +49 89 32905 345   Fax: +49 89 32905 336
http://www.mpq.mpg.de/Theorygroup/CIRAC/