[Ecls-list] Re: Build failure on OS X 10.4.5 x86 (patch)

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll lisp at arrakis.es
Thu Apr 6 03:07:07 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 19:04 -0800, Brad Beveridge wrote:
> I've removed the error logs, but if anybody else is interested in
> patching ECL for OS X Intel, here is at least a first attempt that
> looks like it works.  Instructions for compiling are below.

I have committed your patches. Could you now try building ECL from
scratch as follows

./configure --prefix=$HOME --with-tcp
--with-gmp='--host=none-apple-darwin' --with-system-gmp=no

The flag '--host=...' should be automatically passed to the GMP library
and it is precisely the one that Darwinports uses, deactivating the low
level optimizations and going for a more portable library.

The problem seems to be that Apple uses a completely different assembler
syntax on OSX/Intel and that thus the GMP guys cannot reuse the code
they have for other platforms. Not even GMP 4.2 seems to build on
OSX/Intel.

BTW, non of the tests that failed on your machine are unexpected. Most
of them are related to either MOP issues or accuracy of the signal
handler for floating point exceptions.

Regards,

Max-Planck-Institut für Quantenoptik
Hans-Kopfermann-Str. 1, Garching, D-85748, Germany
Phone: +49 89 32905 345   Fax: +49 89 32905 336
http://www.mpq.mpg.de/Theorygroup/CIRAC/