[Ecls-list] Re: Build cleanups, part one.

Maciek Pasternacki maciekp at japhy.fnord.org
Tue Mar 29 08:48:30 UTC 2005

On Pungenday, Discord 15, 3171 YOLD, Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll wrote:

>>> * LIBS for all C libraries that are installed and are required by
>>> all code (like -ltcp, -lsockets...)
>>> * FASL_LIBS for C libraries that are required by all ECL code (like
>>> -lgmp, -lgc, etc)
>>> * CORE_LIBS for C libraries that are required only by ecl_min and
>>> libecl.so (like -leclgmp, -leclgc,...)
>>> The old CLIBS would correspond to LIBS + FASL_LIBS, while the old
>>> STATICLIBS would correspond to CORE_LIBS.
>>
>>[...]I propose to do it like this:
>>* LIBS with all system-wide installed libraries required by all ECL
>>  code,
>>* LOCAL_LIBS with -lgmp and/or -lgc to locally built libraries that
>>  aren't available system-wide (only when they're built locally),
>>* CORE_LIBS with libraries needed only by libecl.so and libecl_min.
>
> I would rather write is as follows:
>
> * LIBS with all system-wide installed libraries required by all ECL
>  code, including system-wide GMP & GC.
> * LOCAL_LIBS with -leclgmp and/or -leclgc to locally built libraries that
>  aren't available system-wide.
>
> Your LOCAL_LIBS is completely equivalent to CORE_LIBS.

What is the point in separate FASL_LIBS then?

>>What about commented out parts of configure.in?  You wrote that Tk is
>>obsolete in today post on license; what about --enable-locative,
>>--enable-runtime, --with-oldloop and part labelled `X11 stuff'?
>
> The first ones is a placeholders for a feature (locatives) that was
> dropped out on the first port of ECL but which I would like to
> eventually switch on again. --enable-runtime can disappear, since it is
> no more costly to build the shared library than to also build a ECL
> executable. Finally, --with-oldloop is there for people who might have
> concerns about the license with which the LOOP macro is distributed. It
> switches on again the old implementation of LOOP. The X11 stuff is no
> longer required, but it does no harm, since at some point somebody might
> want to port the NCLX library to ECL...

Since this all is commented out, should I leave it in commented out,
try to make it all work, or just not include it?  As for now I just
cut this code out, saving it in file with comments.

--
__    Maciek Pasternacki <maciekp at japhy.fnord.org> [ http://japhy.fnord.org/ ]
`| _   |_\  / { ...Leave me alone.   Take me with you... }