[Ecls-list] Re: Build cleanups, part one.

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll jlr at mpq.mpg.de
Tue Mar 29 22:53:50 UTC 2005

Maciek Pasternacki wrote:

>>>[...]I propose to do it like this:
>>>* LIBS with all system-wide installed libraries required by all ECL
>>> code,
>>>* LOCAL_LIBS with -lgmp and/or -lgc to locally built libraries that
>>> aren't available system-wide (only when they're built locally),
>>>* CORE_LIBS with libraries needed only by libecl.so and libecl_min.
>>>

>>I would rather write is as follows:
>>
>>* LIBS with all system-wide installed libraries required by all ECL
>> code, including system-wide GMP & GC.
>>* LOCAL_LIBS with -leclgmp and/or -leclgc to locally built libraries that
>> aren't available system-wide.
>>
>>Your LOCAL_LIBS is completely equivalent to CORE_LIBS.
>>

>What is the point in separate FASL_LIBS then?

No one really. Just that for some non-lisp programs (for instance the
dpp preprocessor), FASL_LIBS has too many things and LIBS in the first
proposal does the job.

>Since this all is commented out, should I leave it in commented out,
>try to make it all work, or just not include it?  As for now I just
>cut this code out, saving it in file with comments.

You can remove them. If needed I will resucitate them from CVS. But
please, in configure.in, do not change "dnl" comments into "#". There is
no need to make the "configure" file bigger than it currently is. And
anyways, no one reads the outcome of autoconf.