[Ecls-list] Re: Build cleanups, part one.

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll jlr at mpq.mpg.de
Tue Mar 29 08:28:05 UTC 2005

Maciek Pasternacki wrote:

>On Pungenday, Discord 15, 3171 YOLD, Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll wrote:
>
>>* LIBS for all C libraries that are installed and are required by all
>>code (like -ltcp, -lsockets...)
>>* FASL_LIBS for C libraries that are required by all ECL code (like
>>-lgmp, -lgc, etc)
>>* CORE_LIBS for C libraries that are required only by ecl_min and
>>libecl.so (like -leclgmp, -leclgc,...)
>>The old CLIBS would correspond to LIBS + FASL_LIBS, while the old
>>STATICLIBS would correspond to CORE_LIBS.
>>
>[...]I propose to do it like this:
>* LIBS with all system-wide installed libraries required by all ECL
>  code,
>* LOCAL_LIBS with -lgmp and/or -lgc to locally built libraries that
>  aren't available system-wide (only when they're built locally),
>* CORE_LIBS with libraries needed only by libecl.so and libecl_min.

I would rather write is as follows:

* LIBS with all system-wide installed libraries required by all ECL
  code, including system-wide GMP & GC.
* LOCAL_LIBS with -leclgmp and/or -leclgc to locally built libraries that
  aren't available system-wide.

Your LOCAL_LIBS is completely equivalent to CORE_LIBS.

>What about commented out parts of configure.in?  You wrote that Tk is
>obsolete in today post on license; what about --enable-locative,
>--enable-runtime, --with-oldloop and part labelled `X11 stuff'?

The first ones is a placeholders for a feature (locatives) that was
dropped out on the first port of ECL but which I would like to
eventually switch on again. --enable-runtime can disappear, since it is
no more costly to build the shared library than to also build a ECL
executable. Finally, --with-oldloop is there for people who might have
concerns about the license with which the LOOP macro is distributed. It
switches on again the old implementation of LOOP. The X11 stuff is no
longer required, but it does no harm, since at some point somebody might
want to port the NCLX library to ECL...

>Thanks for your comments; I'll send updated version of patches to the
>list soon.

TIA!!!