[Ecls-list] Fix for --enable-local-boehm?

Julian Stecklina der_julian at web.de
Thu Nov 4 08:03:28 UTC 2004

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll <lisp at arrakis.es> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am thinking about disabling the flag --enable-local-boehm entirely,
> because no distribution is installing the private headers. This is a
> little stupid, because these headers contain code which is useful to
> customize and optimize the way in which the garbage collector
> works. ECL, for instance, uses this to reduce the amount of memory
> that needs to be scanned for pointers, and to allow ECL to garbage
> collect dynamically loaded libraries. I do not know yet what a better
> solution would be. Suggestions are welcome.

I think the Garbage Collector is small enough, that this does not
matter very much. I would like to have it compiled separately, too,
but if removing this option simplifies stuff, then I am all for it.

On another point: I do not see a compelling reason to keep the
complete GMP sources in the tree.

Regards,
--
 Julian Stecklina  /  _________________________/