[Ecls-list] Building 0.9b fails on Alpha NetBSD1.6.1

Prut Flut prutflut at m-net.arbornet.org
Sat Oct 25 15:37:07 UTC 2003

Hello,

I'm trying to build ECL on an Alpha running NetBSD in my user
account (ie --prefix=$HOME):
$ uname -a | fmt
NetBSD droog 1.6.1_STABLE NetBSD 1.6.1_STABLE (sdf) #0: Sun Oct 12
04:58:20 UTC 2003     root at ol:/sys/netbsd/arch/alpha/compile/sdf
alpha

I downloaded ecl-0.9b.tgz from sourceforge.  I ran into a couple
of problems.  First, the ones I could work around:
- boehm-gc insists on using bash as shell.  However bash does not
  work in my environment (some shared library issue that I cannot
  fix, seen as I am not root).  gmp had the same problem, but that
  could be fixed using "--with-gmp=SHELL=/bin/sh".  So I manually
  fixed the Makefile in build/gc
- The gmp.texi files uses some constructs that the makeinfo
  (GNU texinfo) 4.0 won't recognize: @copy ... @end copy,
  @documentdescription ... @end documentdescription and
  @insertcopy.  I fixed this by putting these lines as comments
  (rather a workaround, I can always ask the maintainer of the
  system to update his texinfo installation).
- also, the system was recognized as unknown-unknown-netbsd1.6.1,
  which leads gmp to not take into account the assembler routines
  in the subdirectory src/gmp/mpn/alpha (ie they are not copied
  to the build/gmp directory), resulting in missing
  __gmp_invert_limb errors.  This problem is worked around by
  specifying "--build=alpha-alpha-netbsd1.6.1"

However: after
./configure --prefix=$HOME/pkg --without-x \
	--build=alpha-alpha-netbsd1.6.1 \
	--with-gmp="SHELL=/bin/sh" SHELL=/bin/sh
(modify build/gc/Makefile to set SHELL=/bin/sh instead of bash)
gmake fails at the first invocation of ecl_min (there are also
a lot of warnings about ignored `regparm' attributes in external.h):
	gmake[1]: Entering directory `/arpa/p/pcrama/ecl-0.9b/build'
	if [ -f CROSS-COMPILER ]; then \
		./CROSS-COMPILER < compile.lsp; \
	else \
		./ecl_min < compile.lsp; \
	fi
	;*** Lisp core booted ****
	ECLS (Embeddable Common Lisp)  16384 pages

	Unrecoverable error:
	Lisp initialization error.

	Abort trap - core dumped
	gmake[1]: *** [ecl] Error 134
	gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/arpa/p/pcrama/ecl-0.9b/build'
	gmake: *** [all] Error 2
I tried to run ecl_min myself:
$ build/ecl_min
	;*** Lisp core booted ****
	ECLS (Embeddable Common Lisp)  16384 pages

	> nil
	NIL
	> '(1 2 + 4)
	(1 2 + 4)
	> (+ 1 2)

	Unrecoverable error:
	Lisp initialization error.

	Abort (core dumped)

I have no idea as to what I should do next to get a working common
(or near enough) lisp on that machine.  Is NetBSD that different
from Linux?  Could it be the fact that NetBSD is still using gcc
2.95.3?

Many thanks for the time you already invested in ecl as well as many
thanks in advance for your help

Yours sincerely,

Philippe Crama