[cmucl-imp] ASDF 2.016 released

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 22:05:52 UTC 2011

On 6/8/11 5:51 PM, Faré wrote:

>> Oh.  One more thing.  The only external format built in to cmucl is
>> iso8859-1.  All the other formats are in files that are loaded (and
>> compiled) on demand.   Would you want all of the external formats
>> preloaded too?  I can imagine just having utf-8 and the composing
>> formats to handle unix, dos, and mac end-of-line would satisfy 99 and
>> 44/100 % of the people out there.
>>
> Even I, these days, have adopted utf-8 as my default and forsaken iso8859-1.
> Yes, I think those two should cover most everyone's needs.
I've almost switched to utf-8 too.  At least in slime and my terminal
windows.

Another issue:  The self-contained exec can contain the unicode data
base and the external formats.  I've tested that.  But the executable
can't save another executable image because the link shell script can't
be found.  To be truly self-contained, it would have to be stored in C
code and written out at some point.   Or the script would need to be
converted into C.  Neither of these appeal to me, but at least the
former could be somewhat automated.  Still kind of gross.

Ray