[Clo-devel] Follow up to "proposed direction for common-lisp.net in 2015" -- the steps

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 22:21:02 UTC 2015

Hi Chun,

I know I “disappeared" for a long time

No problem. Sometimes Life just takes over :-)

> and I’m not an important one,

Well, since we're not a huge community, I think we should value the opinion
of everybody who takes the time to weigh in (send a response).

> but I have one suggestion here. If I’m wrong or you don’t like it, please
> don’t blame me:
>
> We should move all responsibilities to Github (or sourceForge if SVN or
> CVS is still required by some projects), and then ONLY use common-lisp.net
> for project web site hosting (project web pages, and file downloads for
> users who don’t use quicklisp) , because the hostname (common-lisp.net)
> is still the best choice for Common Lisp related projects.

Well, I do understand where your reaction comes from. However, we have a
number of projects who are still very much active. *Only* doing project
website hosting disregards the fact that one of our most widely
acknowledged service being the mailing lists and especially the archives
thereof.

For me personally, there's no problem in doing the work for the migration.
It's one step less extreme than just moving everything out to other
parties. But for me (and probably others) to be able to maintain the
system, it's only doable when we rationalize the system's setup. I'm
thinking that your proposed "throwing it all out" will marginalize the role
of common-lisp.net which really would be too bad.

Even if other projects decide not to host directly on common-lisp.net
themselves, we could be a mirror. Then, when project pages go blank (and
they sometimes do), we have a copy of the code base and others can take
over from there.

There may be other options and ideas too.

http://efficito.com -- Hosted accounting and ERP.
Robust and Flexible. No vendor lock-in.