[Clo-devel] Follow up to "proposed direction for common-lisp.net in 2015" -- the steps

Dave Cooper david.cooper at genworks.com
Mon Feb 16 22:41:00 UTC 2015

Hi Chun Tian,

Thanks for the feedback. My $0.02:

I think common-lisp.net should indeed support project websites with their
repositories hosted on github/bitbucket/sourceforge, but if volunteer
administrators (currently led by Erik H) are willing to support repository
hosting directly on common-lisp.net then why would we not want that as well?

Already there are hundreds of projects hosted at common-lisp.net and it
will be less disruptive for them to get consolidated under gitlab than
force all of them to relocate to another site entirely.

A bit further down the road, I have hopes that common-lisp.net will be able
to offer CL-specific services, for example:

 o private-repository hosting (paid)

 o source escrow services (paid)

 o online automated build verifications with multiple CL implementations
(including defined Quicklisp snapshots), connected with the two items above

 o online automated regression testing (connected with above)

 o support for CL-based web application deployment and hosting (paid for
proprietary, free for open-source). Eventually all of common-lisp.net
itself should be set up as a CL-based web application.

I would contend that such services can only be delivered effectively from a
CL-focused perspective, not by melding into and depending everything on
whatever generic, commodity "cloud" services are currently popular.

With a combination of recurring donations plus paid services like these, my
hope is that common-lisp.net can continue to be a viable and
self-sustaining service as well as focal point for CL-related resources.

I'll go on record and say that Genworks would be at least one paying
customer for services such as what I've listed above.

Best Regards,

 Dave