[lists] Re: [clo-devel] Getting clhp installed on Apache

Anthony Ventimiglia anthony at ventimiglia.org
Fri Nov 14 01:15:34 UTC 2003

Nikodemus Siivola writes:
 > On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 09:03:36AM -0500, Anthony Ventimiglia wrote:
 >
 > That said, wearing my voting hat:
 >
 >  I don't know.
 >
 >  How important is it to you? Is this "vital", or "kind of neat"?
 >
 >  How much overhead for Erik (on the long run)? If we do this, will it generate
 >  good infrastructure that can be utilized in the future, or will it be
 >  a wart on the system?

I agree with both your questions and answers. And to sway your
opinion, I'll offer some information.

As far as the project goes, I consider it vital to have the home page
actually running on a clhp back-end.

As far as the overhead for Erik, the installation is pretty
straightforward, and I don't really forsee any major server overhead
at this point. In my previous post I gave some of the potential
problems, which are no more of a risk than running CGI scripts. So
it's a matter of trusting users who write clhp pages, and as I said
before, I don't see why any of us would have malicious intents
regarding the common-lisp.net server. If you guys are still
uncomfortable with that, we can restrict the clhp-handler to only work
in selected directories.

As far as the infrastructure, I think that it would be a benifit to us
all to have it available on the server. Sure we could use PHP to
provide the same functionality, but I'd assume that most of us would
rather use Lisp than PHP.

--
(incf *yankees-world-series-losses*)