[clo-devel] Getting clhp installed on Apache

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Thu Nov 13 23:22:44 UTC 2003

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 09:03:36AM -0500, Anthony Ventimiglia wrote:

> So I'd like to know if we can install it, so I can actually use it
> for the clhp home page?

Ok, wearing my policy making hat, there are several separate questions
here:

 1) Do we wish to offer individual services (in terms of what is
    provided) to projects?

 2) If so, how is this arbitrated? Who gets what, and who decides?

 3) How does this relate to services to the lisp community (like the
    pastebot), when they directly tie in with an existing project?

 [ etc... ]

My answers:

 1) To a degree, yes.

 2) Case by case basis.

    - Sometimes providing a service X for a single project
      makes it trivially available to all the others as well. This is a
      Good Thing.

    - Sometimes a project may need service unimportant or impractical
      for others. Here we must balance the needs of the single project and
      the administrative overhead. If the overhead is small, and the service
      is important for the project, sure.

    - In other cases, not really.

 3) Common-lisp.net may offer such services to the community. If they tie
    naturally in with an existing project, then "letting the project provide
    the service" makes perfect sense.

That said, wearing my voting hat:

 I don't know.

 How important is it to you? Is this "vital", or "kind of neat"?

 How much overhead for Erik (on the long run)? If we do this, will it generate
 good infrastructure that can be utilized in the future, or will it be
 a wart on the system?

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus