[climacs-devel] Who maintains climacs?

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cantab.net
Sun Apr 4 15:39:27 UTC 2010

Joop Kiefte <ikojba at gmail.com> writes:

> The last messages on this list before my message seem to be from about
> a year ago. Is Climacs without active developers? Is there an official
> maintainer? Who "owns" the project? Did it die?

There's a long list of about 20 people able to commit to the Climacs
repository -- to my knowledge, none are currently working on it.

> I would like to put the project in Git and develop further on it that
> way, but I would like to know if I can do that retaining the name
> Climacs, and if it's worth it to change this or at least point to it
> in the documents on the site as well.

The source code of Climacs is licenced under the terms of the GNU LGPL,
version 2 (or, at your option, any later version).  I am no lawyer, but
I believe that that means you can do whatever you like with the code,
provided that you provide sources of climacs to those you distribute
binaries to, and that if you distribute binaries involving climacs, you
must distribute object files of other components so that your users can
relink your objects with a locally-modified climacs.

For what it's worth, common-lisp.net has support for git and bug
trackers; it would be perfectly possible to transfer climacs to a more
modern version control system without losing continuity of development,
such as it is.

Best,

Christophe