[climacs-devel] Re: Couple of first impressions

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Thu Dec 27 20:31:10 UTC 2007

Troels Henriksen <athas at sigkill.dk> writes:

> >  * Something like `toggle-debug-on-error': I.e. the facility to /not/
> >    automatically invoke the debugger when something bad happens. (Bonus
> >    point if the backtrace is saved in some special buffer.)
>
> I'm not sure I want this. Applications that just trap anything that
> goes wrong and spits out a stack trace to a console remind me of
> Java. Why wouldn't you want the debugger the pop up when something bad
> happens? Climacs doesn't follow Emacs' philosophy of using unhandled
> errors as a way of communicating with the user.

I'm consistently getting confused where the focus in Climacs
is. Sometimes this is because I'm not in the right buffer where I
thought I was in, sometimes because Climacs is unresponsive, and
sometimes because Slime is waiting in SLDB.

Also having to switch over to Emacs, type `0' to invoke the right
restart, and back to Climacs is cumbersome.

Maybe it could at least display something to indicate that an error has
occured.

  -T.