[climacs-devel] Any tips on making the Climacs GUI more responsive?

Troels Henriksen athas at sigkill.dk
Sun Jul 23 09:05:52 UTC 2006

Sean Champ <gimmal at gmail.com> writes:

> From: Sean Champ <gimmal at gmail.com>
>
> I am wondering, however, if it will be possible to do aything in particular,
> as to ensure that the GUI might be more responsive.

Unfortunately not, there is no "magic solution" - as far as I know,
the problem lies in the Climacs redisplay routines, that are basically
just too slow (I don't think the problem lies with McCLIM - Goatee,
for example, has fast redraw). You can try recompiling Climacs with
other optimization settings, but that's not guaranteed to have much of
an effect. The only real solution to this problem is to rewrite the
redisplay routines and make them faster, but I don't how exactly how
this should be done - I'll admit that I don't even know why redisplay
is so slow.

However - do note that some syntaxes (AFAIK every syntax but Basic and
Lisp) are inherently slow due to the implementation of the algorithm
they use to parse their buffer contents. They are not indicative of
the speed of Climacs as a whole.

--
\  Troels "Athas"
/\ Henriksen