[climacs-devel] Any tips on making the Climacs GUI more responsive?

Sean Champ gimmal at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 02:42:27 UTC 2006

I am aware that this would be a matter, firstly, of the processor on the
computer I am using. I consider that there is still grounds for that this may
be addressed as an issue to attention, as in interest of Climacs development.

I am glad to have been able to have launched the Climacs GUI. It looks very
nice.

I am wondering, however, if it will be possible to do aything in particular,
as to ensure that the GUI might be more responsive.

In comparison of GUI responosiveness, XEmacs is fairly prompt, in response,
even on this 366 MHz box. Comparatively, the Climacs GUI -- as it was
activated, on the code and libraries, here[1] -- the GUI not quite as
responsve as I would want that a text editor will be.

In what I mean by it not being responsive:
1) text typed into the scratch buffer does not appear quite as readily as I
mght hope
2) on refresh/redraw, the GUI is not rendered as quickly as I would hope.

While I mean no affront on this, but to address the matter in attempte at
accuracy: I am not certain if it may be a matter contingent as on CLIM and
the CLIM implementation. (Considering: At the stuff about coordinate-system
adjustment in CLIM, and while I know that is but one part to the CLIM
standard, and I do not know how crucial that it is to the rendering of the
Climacs GUI, but I wonder if it might, in however, serve as to occasion any
lag of the visual interface.)

(I am certain that it is not the CLX-X interface. Though what code that I had
made for the prototypes has suffered from some bit-rot, but in all prior
sessions, Garnet applications have been farily responsive, here)

I am sure that I could re-compile CLIM and the companion source-code to
Climacs, recompiling it as under a less intensive debug policy, but I am not
aware about how much strength of debugging I would have lost, then.

Regardless, I hope to have addressed my concern on this, without leaving it
blindly aside. I realize, this might ocasion more involvement directly about
CLIM. I hope to have addressed my concern about it, firstly, to whom would be
more aware of the system than I may be.

Thank you

---
Sean

[1] I'm using a recent build of X.org from debian/sid, and the recent Common
Lisp sources for the components to CLIM, running in SBCL 0.9.11