[climacs-devel] Any tips on making the Climacs GUI more responsive?

Paolo Amoroso amoroso at mclink.it
Sun Jul 23 15:39:57 UTC 2006

Sean Champ <gimmal at gmail.com> writes:
> While I mean no affront on this, but to address the matter in attempte at
> accuracy: I am not certain if it may be a matter contingent as on CLIM and
> the CLIM implementation. (Considering: At the stuff about coordinate-system
> adjustment in CLIM, and while I know that is but one part to the CLIM
> standard, and I do not know how crucial that it is to the rendering of the
> Climacs GUI, but I wonder if it might, in however, serve as to occasion any
> lag of the visual interface.)

Within the past few months there has been a McCLIM performance
regression: drawing a very large class graph with the CLIM Listener
takes about 15X longer than it used to.  With guidance from Christophe
Rhodes I did some benchmarking and tried to locate the possible cause,
but I didn't get any useful results.

I don't know whether your Climacs responsiveness problems are related
to this.

> [1] I'm using a recent build of X.org from debian/sid, and the recent
> Common Lisp sources for the components to CLIM, running in SBCL 0.9.11

You might try using CMUCL instead.  A few years ago CMUCL produced
code twice as fast as SBCL's.  SBCL has been greatly improved since
then, but on your slow machine using CMUCL might still make a
difference.

Paolo
--
Lisp Propulsion Laboratory log - http://www.paoloamoroso.it/log