[clbuild-devel] [Fwd: Re: [elephant-devel] Problems with elephant on sbcl using postmodern]

Leslie P. Polzer sky at viridian-project.de
Fri Dec 19 10:57:26 UTC 2008

> I made the decision to use cffi's emulation instead of uffi because I
> was under the impression that uffi is unmaintained legacy code and that
> cffi-uffi-compat is a good replacement.  Shipping both cffi and uffi
> seemed like a bad solution to me and still does.
>
> Can the incompatibility that prompted your question be resolved by
> fixing elephant and/or cffi-uffi-compat?

Yes. The migration to CFFI is underway, but it's still a couple of
weeks until we can release it.

So it would be good to include UFFI and make Elephant depend
on it until the CFFI-based solution is integrated.

> (Note that uffi is notorious for leaking the data structures of the
> underlying Lisp implementation's FFI to the caller, so it's very easy to
> write code using uffi that isn't actually portable across Lisps, and
> such code won't run using cffi's emulation either.  Is this such a
> case?)

Elephant is portable across Lisps (where UFFI works).

  Leslie

--
LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/polzer
Xing Profile: https://www.xing.com/profile/LeslieP_Polzer