[clbuild-devel] [Fwd: Re: [elephant-devel] Problems with elephant on sbcl using postmodern]

David Lichteblau david at lichteblau.com
Fri Dec 19 10:46:25 UTC 2008

Hi,

Quoting Leslie P. Polzer (sky at viridian-project.de):
> more and more people seem to fall into the trap copied below.
>
> Is there a reason for not making Elephant depend on UFFI?

uffi isn't included in clbuild at all, hence no dependency.

I made the decision to use cffi's emulation instead of uffi because I
was under the impression that uffi is unmaintained legacy code and that
cffi-uffi-compat is a good replacement.  Shipping both cffi and uffi
seemed like a bad solution to me and still does.

Can the incompatibility that prompted your question be resolved by
fixing elephant and/or cffi-uffi-compat?

(Note that uffi is notorious for leaking the data structures of the
underlying Lisp implementation's FFI to the caller, so it's very easy to
write code using uffi that isn't actually portable across Lisps, and
such code won't run using cffi's emulation either.  Is this such a
case?)

d.