[cl-xmpp-devel] cl-xmpp with usocket patch

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 21:26:06 UTC 2008

Hi Ryan,

> I've mostly been in the "abandoning it immediately" camp so far, spending a
> half day reading code trying to work through different bugs before having
> other obligations cut my investigations short.

That's too bad. Which (lisp) implementation do you use? I checked
today's commits using SBCL.

> Some things I'd like to use cl-xmpp for:
>
> Personally:
>
> home-automation that's remote controllable via XMPP (eg: download a file,
> what's the temperature, etc)
> harasser/nagger chat-bot to help me get my chores done (eg: "Hey, it's been
> X days since you cleaned the damn litter box, suck it up")
> get my growing collection of EEEpcs communicating with each other via XMPP
> (possibly for experiments in erlang style distributed computing)

Nice :-)

> Professionally:
>
> chat bot for the office chatroom (something like #lisp's minion over XMPP)
> send notifications from our lisp intranet app to the office chatroom (eg:
> "payment added by Ryan: [link]", "contact info edited by Ryan [link]")
>
> Currently I know of two things that have been issues for me:
>
> cl-xmpp and ejabberd not working well together (looks to be a patch here:
> http://common-lisp.net/pipermail/cl-xmpp-devel/2007-October/000098.html)

Yes, I need to look into this one, because not everybody may have
control over the jabber server they're using. One of the messages in
that thread contains a fix for ejabberd (not cl-xmpp...).

> figuring out the right combination of xmpp:connect-tls / xmpp:connect and
> :mechanism to connect to the office xmpp server, OpenFire
> (http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/index.jsp).  This is a
> combination of my ignorance about the OpenFire config and lack of cl-xmpp
> documentation.

If you could be more elaborate about what you'd like to see or know, I
can probably explain what cl-xmpp is doing.

> The example on http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-xmpp/ doesn't work, uses
> "connection" where it means "*connection*".  This is a small thing, but I
> see it causing confusion on the mailing list every so often.

Ok. Fixed that, should be on the website correctly now. (Except that I
named the variable 'connection' because that was a smaller change...)

> I would be happy in the visible/engaged users bit, possibly submitting
> documentation patches or small bug fixes depending on how my time goes.

That would be absolutely great!

Code contributions as examples or test-cases are also extremely welcome, btw.

Regards,

Erik.