[cl-xmpp-devel] cl-xmpp with usocket patch

Ryan Davis ryan at acceleration.net
Wed Jul 9 13:52:19 UTC 2008

Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> Could you explain a bit more what it is that you're looking for from
> your perspective? I mean, a more lively project has 2 components: (1)
> a committer/maintainer and (2) visible/engaged users [who provide
> feedback regarding what they're missing].
>
> Does anybody here have anything they're missing, or are you just
> experimenting with the library and running into problems so fast that
> you're abandoning it immediately?

I've mostly been in the "abandoning it immediately" camp so far,
spending a half day reading code trying to work through different bugs
before having other obligations cut my investigations short.

Some things I'd like to use cl-xmpp for:

    * Personally:
          o home-automation that's remote controllable via XMPP (eg:
            download a file, what's the temperature, etc)
          o harasser/nagger chat-bot to help me get my chores done (eg:
            "Hey, it's been X days since you cleaned the damn litter
            box, suck it up")
          o get my growing collection of EEEpcs communicating with each
            other via XMPP  (possibly for experiments in erlang style
            distributed computing)
    * Professionally:
          o chat bot for the office chatroom (something like #lisp's
            minion over XMPP)
          o send notifications from our lisp intranet app to the office
            chatroom (eg: "payment added by Ryan: [link]", "contact info
            edited by Ryan [link]")

Currently I know of two things that have been issues for me:

   1. cl-xmpp and ejabberd not working well together (looks to be a
      patch here:
      http://common-lisp.net/pipermail/cl-xmpp-devel/2007-October/000098.html)
   2. figuring out the right combination of xmpp:connect-tls /
      xmpp:connect and :mechanism to connect to the office xmpp server,
      OpenFire
      (http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/index.jsp).  This
      is a combination of my ignorance about the OpenFire config and
      lack of cl-xmpp documentation.
   3. The example on http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-xmpp/ doesn't
      work, uses "connection" where it means "*connection*".  This is a
      small thing, but I see it causing confusion on the mailing list
      every so often.

I would be happy in the visible/engaged users bit, possibly submitting
documentation patches or small bug fixes depending on how my time goes.

Thanks,
Ryan