[cl-ppcre-devel] (no subject)

Randall Randall randall at randallsquared.com
Mon Apr 19 00:35:47 UTC 2004

On Apr 18, 2004, at 2:04 PM, Edi Weitz wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 12:27:22 -0400, Randall Randall
> <randall at randallsquared.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm new to lisp and new to cl-ppcre.
>
> Welcome! I hope you'll have fun.

Thank you!

>> After building cl-ppcre, every time I start lisp, even if I don't
>> explicitly load cl-ppcre.ppcf,
>
> What's cl-ppcre.ppcf?

The compiled cl-ppcre library, if I understand correctly.
I'm on Mac; otherwise it might be cl-ppcre.x86f .

>> Of course, in production it won't matter, since I'll only very
>> occasionally be restarting, but it's surprising and I wonder if it
>> might be indicative of an actual problem with the build or install
>> or something?
>
> Might be. But before I can say anything I need more details. Which
> version of CL-PPCRE? Which Lisp? (From the messages above I'd guess
> it's CMUCL or SBCL but who knows...) Which version of the compiler?
> Which operating system?  How did you obtain and build CL-PPCRE?
> Manually? Using ASDF-INSTALL? Or did you use tools provided by your OS
> distribution like apt-get on Debian or the Ports system on FreeBSD?

Okay, I'm on OSX Panther (10.3), on a Powerbook.  I'm
using CMUCL for OSX, and in spite of various warnings about
how it might cook and eat my cat, I haven't had that problem
yet.

I downloaded cl-ppcre-0.7.4 and followed the manual
installation instructions in the doc/index.html included
with it, since at that time I didn't have asdf or the
other defsystem thing installed.

After compilation, that file says one can simply concatenate
the compiled files together (if one is using the Python
compiler (and I'm using CMUCL, remember)), into a single
file, cl-ppcre.x86f.  Of course, I'm using ppc, not x86,
so I assumed I knew what I was doing and changed it.

In any case, I put in my .cmucl-init.lisp this line:
(load
"/Users/randall/Development/lisp/libraries/cl-ppcre-0.7.4/cl-
ppcre.ppcf")
which includes the path to that file.

When starting lisp, I then got another compilation which
resulted in the 150 or so lines mentioned earlier.  This
happens every time I start lisp.  The library, in a cursory
check, appears to work correctly using snippets copied
from the documentation.  The weird thing, though, is that
I now find I don't need the load statement I just mentioned
in my .cmucl-init.lisp file to get the laborious compile on
startup.  That makes me wonder if something's wrong.

I also have an x86 Gentoo machine on which I used the
system tools (emerge) to install cl-ppcre, and that went
flawlessly, and doesn't do this.  It also works correctly
so far as I can tell.

Thanks for your help!

--
Randall Randall <randall at randallsquared.com>
'I say we put up a huge sign next to the Sun that says "You must be at
tghdrdeath at hotmail.com