[cl-opengl-devel] Minor style questions

Roger Sen Montero rogersm at rogersm.net
Mon Feb 20 22:04:28 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Oliver Markovic wrote:
[..]
> On 08.02.2006, at 17:51, Luís Oliveira wrote:
>
>> BTW, more minor style stuff. I think maybe we should have both
>> with-primitives and with-primitive as synonyms. While (with-primitives
>> :lines ...)
>> makes total sense, (with-primitives :polygon ...) looks very weird to me.
>
> This is true, and it makes me doubt that WITH-PRIMITIVE(S) is such
> a good name after all. It's always called "glBegin/glEnd" in OpenGL
> literature, but WITH-BEGIN-END-BLOCK sounds weird to me.

  It's always the same trade off: try to create a closer to lisp API vs.
not getting to far away from the original one so the new API is easy to
understand.

  The guys at pyopengl did a mirror of OpenGL. I don't know what should
you do in lisp-gl, but for my graphical library I decided to diverge
from the SDL lib. I'm sure someone will do an exact translation from
SDL*.h with SWIG (or even manually)

  My idea is a library that can be used the following way:

(init :init-video)

(with-open-window (s "Hi, my window name is this" '(640  480) :doublebuf)
   (loop
    for i from 1 to 480
    do (draw-point s i i (random (expt 2 24))))
   (update s)
   (event-loop SDL_WaitEvent event
     (SDL_QUIT (quit))))

  I'm not interested in mimicking how the API works in C. If someone
plans to work in lisp in a C way he can do it with the SWIG generated file.

  Some time in the future, when the low level SDL-cffi lisp file is
stable I will base my library on top of it.

  Regards,
rogersm.